A retrofit can be a great way to improve an older home, adding amenities and custom features that increase everything from its resale value to its functionality. However, in some cases, it might actually be better to choose the new construction avenue, especially if the structure is energy deficient. We’ll look at the major factors to consider and how to approach the problem should you decide a retrofit is right for you.
Why Retrofits Are Popular
For the most part, you’re usually better off choosing a retrofit. Retrofits tend to give renovators more options because they can work within the existing infrastructure. It’s also the more cost-efficient option because it doesn’t require extensive replacement of the available systems.
Costs and Maintenance
Before you decide whether a retrofit is right for you though, you need to consider what it would take to bring the property up to code. Single-family homes are typically straightforward, but if you owned a duplex or larger property, the cost comparison might be closer than you think. If the structure needs a lot of work to meet modern-day standards, the process of retrofitting is potentially more expensive than starting from scratch. In addition, keep in mind that if you retrofit one area, such as the kitchen, it might make maintenance more expensive for the rest of the home.
Vail Valley and Western North Carolina Architects
If you’re searching for an architectural firm in Vail Valley or western North Carolina, it’s likely because you have a relatively big project to take on. Experts recommend approaching it one step at a time to get a sense of how each retrofit is benefitting the entire property. It helps to find someone who can take a closer look at the building and devise a plan for it. If you need help deciding where and how to retrofit your home, call TAB Associates today. Whether you need a more modern kitchen or a total redo, we’re here to find the best path forward.
Life often moves fast. In this life, we are each challenged to find ways to attempt to create a lasting legacy. Shaping our shared external environment by creating physical structures is one way that we can share ourselves with the world beyond our years. Sometimes you just need a place to live, work, and play.
TAB Associates has the experienced, balanced architectural approach you need!
Three Reasons TAB Associates In Vail Valley, Colorado & Western North Carolina Is The Architectural Design Firm You Need
We Design Structures For You
With over 30 years of experience and more than $600 million in development properties, we have proven our expertise! Over the years, we have been intricate partners in creating single and multi-family houses, as well as properties in resort, commercial, medical, and institutional categories. Our company’s mission is to build properties to reflect our customers, not our egos.
Balanced Architectural Design
Once we set our egos aside, we were able to focus on a balanced architectural approach. We pride ourselves on our ability to combine the customers’ vision, site circumstances, and our experience. Using these three factors, we can create structures that are practical, functional, and aesthetically pleasing.
One-Stop-Shop From Idea To Ribbon Cutting
Unless you work in architecture or construction, you do not spend your life building structures. Because projects are equally immense, intense and have a variety of unknowns, many people recall this process as one of the most stressful events in their lives. That is why we manage the entire building process for our customers. We become our client’s point of contact from the first consultation through the entire design phase, and ending with the various construction contractors. Selecting TAB means getting the structure you want with minimal stress attached!
Don’t Delay Building Your Dreams
Don’t hesitate to leave your mark on the world. We provide a balanced architectural approach to creating the facility you need. Contact TAB Associates today for your free consultation!
Many people tend to focus on interior features when thinking about their renovation project, but the exterior of your home shouldn’t be neglected! If you want a home that stands out, personalizing the exterior can be a great way to differentiate it from other homes in the area! Here are a few of the ways you can add style and your own unique touch to the outside of your home.
Create a Patio or Courtyard
One of the ways that you can add character to the exterior of your home is by creating a patio or courtyard in front of your home. Not only will this give your home a unique look, but it will provide you with an area to sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee or a glass of wine! Your home will have added character as well as new functionality.
Dress Up or Change Out Your Garage Door
If your garage sits in front of your home, your garage door is something that you and passersby by will notice. While many people have plain white garage doors, there is no reason you cannot make changes to your garage door or replace it to make it more appealing and eye-catching. Consider using a faux wood door, painting your door, or adding carriage garage door hardware to really make your door stand out and positively accent the rest of your home.
Add Dormer Windows
Adding dormer windows can alter the exterior appearance of your home. Dormer windows can be added to help break up the appearance of a large and plain roof, as part of a build-out addition on your home or to help add more natural light to your home.
Are you looking for an architectural firm to help add character and style to the exterior of your home? Then turn to us here at Tab and Associates. We provide planning services, architecture services, and interior design services. Call us now to get started!
What is great architecture? Several designers in Colorado believe that it is a rich interaction between various critical elements. However, there are so many elements that make up a building that it can often create confusion regarding which elements are the most crucial.
Typically, all architecture is aimed at achieving some kind of balance with respect to the design, whether symmetrical or asymmetrical. While designing, certain theories and laws need to be taken into consideration.
If architecture has to have some balance, designers need to think about synchronizing elements so that each of them relates to the other. Ultimately, the aim is to build some sort of system. Balance is not just about the physical building being structurally and aesthetically sound. Architectural balance is achieved when a designer manages to design for all human senses.
Importance of Symmetry and Asymmetry in Architectural Design
Symmetry is one way to achieve architectural balance. This means having a mirror image around a pivotal or primary axis. This is quite common in architecture, especially classical architecture. The symmetry could be radial as well.
Designers can also aim for approximate symmetry. This does not involve a mirror image. However, the elements built on one of the sides of the central axis get roughly imitated on the other.
Lastly, balance in architecture could be asymmetrical as well. Designers might find this more challenging to achieve. This could present a more intriguing view but if not done correctly, it can make all the individual parts look fine, while the system as a whole could appear awkward. Asymmetrical architectural balance is usually considered as casual while symmetrical balance seems more formal.
In either case, form should follow function so manipulating the function to achieve symmetry is sometimes not true to the architecture. Feel free to reach out to TAB Associates to help build the home of your dreams!
As in many professions, there’s a whole world of architecture that most people don’t know about until they’re on the other side of things. Within this world, there is a common struggle among architects to keep their professional ability and their personal ego separate in their work. We believe that an architect’s worst enemy is his ego and his best ally is his ability to combine artistic expression, construction technology, and the client’s needs.
The practice of being an architect involves creativity and design among other important skills. Architects are honored and rewarded all the time for their masterpiece creations; for some, this is the greatest goal of their career. It’s never frowned upon to aim to reach your highest potential in your career, but as an architect, it is important to remember why you do what you do.
Architects are the professionals with all of the knowledge, and their customers hold the vision of the final product. In this scenario, it’s very important that the two of these people are on the same page. There are a few key qualities to look out for when choosing the right architect.
- Knowledge- If it was easy, we’d all do it. Architecture is an adept skill that pulls the strings of many areas of the brain including capabilities in engineering, social communication, legal matters, business and design. Be sure that your architect understands how to apply all of these skills to make your vision come to life.
- Confidence- A certain level of confidence is required to be an architect. Their personal belief in their abilities helps the customer to feel comfortable in their decision. It’s important that your architect can reassure you of their abilities but not get off track.
- Balance- This is the most important quality to look for. Balance is achieved when the architect has an even ability to exert both knowledge and confidence in his or her work. At the end of the day, the goal of the architect is to fulfill their client’s needs and create the masterpiece they’ve always wanted. This establishes true success and talent in the architect.
While it may seem obvious to look for knowledge and confidence in an architect, it’s finding a quality of balance that is truly significant. Then, you will know you’re in good hands. We take pride in being well balanced between our confidence and our abilities, so feel free to reach out to TAB Associates for a free consultation to see what we mean!
Picture this: A log cabin nestled in a secluded, wooded area with a fire burning area and a breathtaking view just outside the window. Log homes, in recent years, have become less of a dream and more of a reality. More and more people are taking to the idea of building and purchasing log homes. Other than their visual appeal, there are a lot of really beneficial reasons to invest in a log home.
- Go Green– There’s no denying that a log home will take the carbon footprint weight right off of your shoulders. Using solid logs to build a home consequently removes the carbon stored inside these trees from the environment and improves air quality. Best of all, wood is a renewable and recyclable resource that can be used time and time again.
- Energy Efficient– Wood has a natural component called “thermal mass” as well as the capability to breathe. As a part of the environment, years and years of adaptation have enabled trees to develop these qualities and live as long as possible regardless of the terrain and weather. In the colder months, log homes naturally delay heat transfer through their thermal mass. During the warmer months, the logs are able to breathe and therefore maintain better air quality and circulation.
- Durability– Trees have the ability to withstand wind, rain, lightning, freezing temperatures, and dry climates. As they’ve developed sustainable and durable qualities over centuries, log homes will stand longer and stronger over the years. There are even some historical, log homes that are still standing and can be dated back to almost 700 years ago.
- Health Conscious– The breathability of log homes create much better air quality within the home, therefore containing less humidity. Less humidity inside the home makes it harder for elements like mold and allergens to grow and multiply. For the people whose allergies tend to get the best of them, a log home can be a great choice as they’ll be less reactive. Plus, less mold growth will decrease the chances of getting sick.
Log homes are growing in both popularity and value as word spreads about their long-lasting benefits. No matter which area of the country you reside, investing in a log home can greatly improve your health, the health of the environment, and the future of both. Contact TAB Associates to help in designing your own log home!