Whether you plan to use it as a vacation home or as your primary dwelling, a log cabin home can create feelings of comfort and warmth. Use these tips when building a cabin home that’s perfect for your family.
- Don’t overlook the importance of log selection. All wood is not created equal. The better the logs you use to construct your cabin, the more attractive it will be and the longer it will last.
- Remember to account for the settling of the wood when planning keyways, slip joints, and window installations.
- Wiring a log home is not exactly like wiring a traditional drywall home. Hire an electrician who has experience working with log cabins for best results.
- Get off to the right start with the right buildings plans. Work with an experienced architect to design a custom cabin, or purchase pre-made plans.
- Remember that building codes may specific what you can and cannot do with your cabin’s structure. If you work with an architect who has experience building cabins, he or she should be familiar with these restrictions.