Your home’s exterior focal point is the first place your guests’ eyes will land when they approach your home. It is a fundamental design principle that the right focal point can create a positive first impression and even change a person’s mood. Many contemporary homes lack the impressive architectural features that are common with Victorian, Tudor, or Colonial styles. But, there are ways to add architectural balance and a dramatic focal point to ranch, split-level, or cottage-style homes.
Deciding on a Focal Point for Curb Appeal
To choose the best focal point that will tie together your home’s landscape, your home’s architectural style, and your family’s personality, start by noting your home’s best features or what you like best about the exterior of your home. It could be a large bay window, porch columns, a blooming tree, or your lovely wooden double-entry doors.
Work with what you have! There are many ways to increase the drama and beauty of any part of your home’s exterior.
10 Ideas for an Exterior Focal Point
- Add a landscape feature like ornamental grass or decorative tree.
- Replace exterior door with double-entry doors or add a decorative element to the door.
- Install an architectural window – bay, bow, or arched
- Paint exterior trim or structural elements with a contrasting color.
- Add up-lighting at a tree or bushes.
- Create architectural balance with matching wall lanterns or potted plants.
- Change door numbers to a decorative font.
- Plant a flower bed that blooms three seasons.
- Replace walkway with paver stones or bring the Interior flooring out.
- Consider an ornamental fence or railing.
Creating a focal point at your home’s entry can be a budget-friendly project. Painting your front door, adding two large potted plants on each side, and attaching wall sconces or installing a post lantern at the stairs can add pizzazz and charm to a lackluster front entry.
For a more striking makeover, partner with TAB Associates, a Vail Valley architectural firm that specializes in “architectural balance.” TAB Associates can help you create an exterior symmetry with permanent architectural features that fit both classic and modern home styles.